Sunday, June 16, 2013

A road less traveled...

It has been said that the less traveled, long, and sometimes lonely roads make all the difference in life... 

I've found that is true...

I took a drive the other day and found myself on a deserted highway. 


 There was a time when this road was filled with cars traveling to far flung destinations. Journeys with a thousand stories attached to them. Then the winds of change and the ever turning wheels of progress decided that this pathway had fulfilled it's purpose. No longer would it carry the load of passing travelers. 


Now it sees only the few who are willing to venture off the beaten path, along the backroads and byways.
  

 I did not know where this road led. I simply followed it's worn path... 


Still, I knew no matter how filled with ruts and rocks it was, like all roads eventually it would lead me to it's destination. As I drove the dusty trail I thought how, at times, life is like this forgotten path. 
Sometimes we are taken down roads that seem to be filled with potholes and pitfalls. There are detours placed in our path and we wonder if we will ever find our way back. 
 Sometimes along our way we lose friends and loved ones and wish that we did not all have to travel this long road... And yet we do... 


Still...if we're lucky - along with the challenges and losses we may face along the way - we also gain new friends and loved ones - not to replace the old, for that is impossible - but to add more richness and depth to our journey. With our experiences we may also find courage and talents we never knew we had. Things we might never have known if it hadn't been for the pathway we were on. 

So,
I am grateful I took this less traveled road... 
grateful for the lessons it brought to mind...
grateful, in a way, for the twists and turns of my own life's journey...

As I was writing this post I found this song that captured much of what I felt as I drove along the long forgotten road... 


Long Road
   -Pearl Jam

And I wished for so long...
I cannot stay
All the precious moments...
Cannot stay
It's not like wings have fallen...
I cannot say
Without you something is missing...
I cannot say

Holding hands of daughters and sons
In their phase they're falling down
Down, down, down

I have wished for so long...
How I wish for you again

We all walk the long road
I cannot stay
There's no need to say goodbye

Oh, the friends and family...
All the memories going round
Round, round round...

I have wished for so long...
How I wished for you today

And the wind keeps rollin'
And the sky keeps turning grey
And the sun is setting
The sun will rise another day

I have wished for so long...
How I wish for you today

I have wished for so long...
How I wish for you today
Will I walk the long road?
We all walk the long road

No comments:

Post a Comment